Friday, August 28, 2009

On with the Blog!


Ok, I can use the whole "I'm a new mom" excuse and never get to this blog, leaving all 2 of you in suspension until Gwenivere goes off to college, but I'm gonna have to face the music some day and realize that I need a "me" moment, collect my thoughts--and disperse them all over cyber space. I guess that's one of the weird things about blogging. It's like, "Dear Diary... and the UNIVERSE". Anyway, I'm sure I'll get over the exposure and the draft soon enough.

So-- Gwen turned 11 weeks old today! Happy Weekday, bunkin! When I've had moments of sanity and sleep (which always go hand-in-hand) over these past two and a half months, I've been reflecting on this whole baby thing. It's all pretty amazing. Here's this nothing inside of you, except your own organs and bones and a mish-mash of squishy stuff, and then-- POOF!-- human being, right there, soul and all. AMAZING. Not only that, in a matter of 9 months (really, only months. I counted.), little Miss One-Cell, becomes a whole huge mini adult, receding hairline and all! Then, it's not as if they just stay there, no. They COME OUT. And God bless Mr. Epidural.

Having a baby has really been a blessing. You'd think it's fun enough just being pregnant. People going out of their way to care for you, asking how you're feeling; asking about the little bundle inside, "Is it a boy or a girl?" You get to wear cute tops especially made to show off your epitome-of-a-woman belly (two syllables there: SE-XY). You get to take work off for weeks and weeks and do absolutely nothing if you want. Screw laundry-- you're pregnant! You may as well walk around with a halo on your head because, yeah, you're special, and everybody knows it. And birth control, shmirth control. But the fun doesn't stop there. For 9 months of good times, you get a baby out of the deal! A real one! If you thought people ooh-ed and ahh-ed over you before, check you out with a newborn in your arms. That's money right there.

But all seriousness aside, I've always had my doubts about being a mom, but nobody ever told me about the superpowers that come with it!

SUPER HEARING - Not only can I hear my baby cry on the other side of walls and walls and a whole floor, I can hear her cry even when she's not crying.

SUPER SMELL - No, I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but rather less discriminating, which allows me to change a FUNKY diaper without so much as a flared nostril. And that's super.

SUPER EMPATHY - Baby cries. What does baby need?? Somehow, more times than naught, I JUST KNOW.

SUPER PATIENCE - Maybe not a super power I've fully exploited, but exploited it more than I probably ever have so far on my tour of the earth.

SUPER ENERGY - Still alive, aren't I?

SUPER FOOD - Who knew us mothers could completely sustain human life simply by whippin' out the boob? Amazing.

SUPER STRENGTH - Even my own very buff husband can't hold a little 13-pound baby for more than a minute without gawping. Who knew my own pea-shooters of arms were really pipes at heart?

Anyway, here's looking forward to the next 11 weeks, and whatever new super powers crop up...

1 comment:

  1. Ha!
    You make me laugh. Because you are so right!!
    I've always wondered why I could change my own kids' diapers but gag to the point of upheaval at the THOUGHT of changing any other diapers! Must be love.
    I always marveled when I would show up at the church nursery (this was in the olden days when we went to a church where we HAD a nursery and we used it) and there was my little one, laying in a crib or crawling around on the floor.... Lots of noise and music. When I would greet the caretakers, I would always notice that my baby would pick out my voice in all that hubbub and look for me. "My sheep hear my voice...." May it ever be so.

    ReplyDelete